SB 1532 and HB 4048 - Expanding OSU Extension & Securing an Economic Assessment of Oregon’s Organic Sector
2022 Short Session—
Our our friends and coalition partner, the Oregon Organic Coalition, has secured two bills: SB 1532 is asking for five Agricultural Extension Positions that will focus on organic practices that aid all farmers, and an economic assessment of the organic sector. HB 4048 is part of proposed “Emerging Sector” legislation that will also include the organic economic assessment.
SB 1532 has been rescheduled for a Public Hearing and possible Work Session on Thur. Feb. 8 at 1pm.
HB 4048 is scheduled for a Public Hearing on Mon. Feb. 7 at 8am and a Work Session on Wed. Feb. 9 at 8am.
Ways to engage:
- Testify or submit testimony at the Public Hearing. You’ll find instructions and templates below. Time sensitive!
- Call or email your legislators and ask them to support these bills. You can find your legislators here. This can happen throughout the session.
- Meet with your legislators virtually–OOC can help set this up throughout the session.
General Talking Points:
- That these positions help all farmers—not just organic;
- That there is an urgency for these positions, for example last year’s heat dome heat wave that decimated many ag sectors;
- That OSU is supportive and excited about how this could put the OSU/PNW on the map for being a region focused on the future of farming, of which organic practices are a cornerstone;
View testimony templates and instructions